V4.0
nailsworth.com forum
You don't have to live in Nailsworth to use the forum!

Topic: Strange Rituals in the Fields
Category: Select All


Strange Rituals in the Fields by Peter
Date: 13/11/2007 Time: 10:35:55
I think the gripes were more about the organisations funded by Local Authorities, i.e. OUR council tax. If you were really interested you could look on the Charity Commission website and see that some of these (especially the notorious local one) return huge annual surpluses, despite incredibly excessive spending on dubious projects (e.g a PUB!!!). As admin is unfortunately aware, they throw vast sums at pursuing people with their lawyers too. The surpluses would be staggering without these items so are the Local Authorities paying too much and therefore passing it on to the tax payers?

>> Tagged as: News - Local


Strange Rituals in the Fields by Lion
Date: 13/11/2007 Time: 11:05:41
Peter wrote:

'I think the gripes were more about the organisations funded by Local Authorities, i.e. OUR council tax. If you were really interested you could look on the Charity Commission website and see that some of these (especially the notorious local one) return huge annual surpluses, despite incredibly excessive spending on dubious projects (e.g a PUB!!!). As admin is unfortunately aware, they throw vast sums at pursuing people with their lawyers too. The surpluses would be staggering without these items so are the Local Authorities paying too much and therefore passing it on to the tax payers?'

Peter, I have read this above, which local organisation/s are you inferring please? I could then visit the Charity Commission website and see for myself!

I am only really interested in the wider views expressed within this thread, i.e. the title being 'Strange Rituals in the fields' in context and the subsequent comments as discourse displayed.

>> Tagged as: News - Local


Strange Rituals in the Fields by Cowardly Not Required
Date: 13/11/2007 Time: 11:37:34
Perhaps those criticising Acorn school fees could give think wider to other expenditures.

I can go up to George V Playing Fields and see football for free. Why on earth should anyone pay for it at FGR? Silly tits! (Before anyone gets too excited about this example if you look on other threads you will see that I go up to FGR!).

I'm intrigued by the lights in the field. When my lad and I were walking back down Dark Lane from the match on Sunday, there was a mother and child walking up with a paper lantern and candle. It looked lovely and far more in keeping with our rural town (can you have such a thing! ) than the harsh sodium street lighting lighting.

It is disappointing that the other 'feud' is being played out on these pages again. Do you want more grief for the website owner? Can't you set up your own website to lay out your concerns about that place?

>> Tagged as: News - Local


Strange Rituals in the Fields by Required on voyage
Date: 13/11/2007 Time: 11:55:21
My particular gripe with all this 'woo' is that it most definitely is not 'harmless'.

That is why I, personally, have repeated 'goes' at all things 'woo'. Religion, homeopathy and all things that are not evidence-based.

We live in a world where the human race is having profound effects upon the planet we inhabit. To ensure that we can continue to occupy a place here we need to think clearly and rationally about all aspects of our existence. All forms of 'woo' do nothing but hinder that task. Magical (or mystical) thinking through 'faith' brings us no closer to understanding 'truth', and yes, I state my position quite clearly, there are absolute truths to be discovered, and we discover them by seeing where the verifiable evidence leads us.

'Science' has brought us immense knowledge of our universe, wishful and magical thinking has prevented us from making the best use of that knowledge. In fact magical thinking regularly encourages us to ignore the message of the evidence.

A species that ignores the evidence staring it in the face puts it's future existence in peril.

Just like we are now.

And don't go trying to tell me I have no 'spirituality', I do, plenty of it. I just call it 'imagination', and I enjoy it a great deal, I just make an effort not to conflate it with 'reality'

>> Tagged as: News - Local


Strange Rituals in the Fields by 3
Date: 13/11/2007 Time: 12:06:57
If you are interested in this school why not go along to their christmas fair on Nov 24th and see for yourself.

I went a few years ago because they occupy the school building that I went to and I was curious to see how it had changed. I was quite impressed with their artistic, creative work and especially their cooking abilities!

There was quite a friendly atmosphere there too.

>> Tagged as: News - Local


Strange Rituals in the Fields by Required on voyage
Date: 13/11/2007 Time: 12:09:11
And I wholeheartedly agree with CNR's sentiment. Any of us who use this board at all regularly, and that undoubtedly includes those who wish to promote the 'feud', know very well that it can only provoke grief for admin. Please stop it

>> Tagged as: News - Local


Strange Rituals in the Fields by Sinnikal
Date: 13/11/2007 Time: 12:27:42
Oh look, I can't keep up this 'Required on voyage' nonsense, it's me, and I'm sure everybody knows it.

Here,

http://tinyurl.com/2869bl

is a prime example of the dangers of magical thinking.

From the short article


Quotation:
Tearfund, the Christian aid charity that commissioned the survey, says: 'The results fly in the face of the view that faith is increasingly irrelevant in today's secular society.' Matthew Frost, its chief executive, said the report 'demonstrates the prevalence and potential of prayer' and he hoped that more people would pray about issues such as world poverty and climate change.

Bolding mine.

Yeah, like praying's gonna change anything

'Prayer, how to look like you're doing something without actually doing anything at all'.

Now I've no problem with people finding comfort praying about their own circumstances, but thinking that we can end world poverty, or halt climate change, by wishful thinking........ Sheeeesh!!

>> Tagged as: News - Local


Strange Rituals in the Fields by 3
Date: 13/11/2007 Time: 12:34:04
I don't think that 'god watches over me' much, but that my ancestors and life experiences have more of an influence over they way I am.

>> Tagged as: News - Local


Strange Rituals in the Fields by Not Required
Date: 13/11/2007 Time: 12:45:39
Acorn is paid for by parents. Pays your money you takes your choice. Its the other one which uses taxpayers money.The name wont be published here so youd have to look around if you live locally and see if you can see a school adjoining a pub on minchinhampton common.

>> Tagged as: News - Local


Strange Rituals in the Fields by Sinnikal
Date: 13/11/2007 Time: 14:15:40
It's no wonder that the Jesuits said


Quotation:
'Give Me the Child until He Is Seven and I Will Show You the Man'

Children are 'hard-wired' from birth to accept as truth information they receive from adults. It's an aid to survival.

That's why the religious are so keen to get hold of children. They understand only too well that if people were exposed to magical thinking after they had acquired some critical thinking skills, religion would wither away within a few generations.

With the current vogue for 'protecting people from themselves', viz. smoking, drinking, over-eating warnings etc., I would be more than happy for the same type of regulation to be applied to all religions.

With the emergence of muscular Islam, the last thing we need is for it to be countered with muscular Xianity. All religion should come with a mental health warning.

IMHO of course

"Teachers, leave those kids alone"

http://tinyurl.com/2xz7ff

>> Tagged as: News - Local


Strange Rituals in the Fields by S
Date: 13/11/2007 Time: 15:59:12
Great post Sinnikal. I have to ask, were you aware that the quote you used (From 'Another Brick in the Wall') was from the Pink Floyd hit regarding dissatisfaction with Steiner education?

Very interesting (and imo valid) points about homeopathy and 'woo' too. There are too many people who follow the latest homeopathic fad regardless of whether it has been tested properly and some very unfortunate consequences.

>> Tagged as: News - Local


Strange Rituals in the Fields by Gab
Date: 13/11/2007 Time: 18:21:51
...but there are also some of us who have been through convential medicine with no success and will, quite frankly, try anything. Sometimes with great results, sometimes with just a big dent on the pocket. But at least it makes me feel like I'm doing something.

Way back in this thread there was a slight mention of celtic religions. Personally I don't think enough is made of our pre-Christian traditions. Not from any religious belief particularly, but because I like the way some of the old rituals make us think about our relationship with the earth, trees, animals, seasons and I think that this helps in a very practical understanding of how things work in nature.

>> Tagged as: News - Local


Strange Rituals in the Fields by Infidel
Date: 13/11/2007 Time: 20:31:45
Re: 'teachers, leave them kids alone', a teacher friend of mine objected to that 'ditty' coz of the (bad) influence it had on school discipline . I quite liked it, coz I'm a 'rebel' . She's not into Steiner but observed that the writer sent his kids to a private school . I am unaware of Steiner having such a big influence on the education system (to force the wealthy into private education).

Oh and another thing, what proportion of 'my' tax goes towards Steiner ? My guess is that it is a small proportion and probably less than goes towards sport/leisure and other things I have no choice about. Those who choose Steiner take responsibility for their offspring, can the same be said of all parents who benefit from 'my' taxes ? I am happy (or at least tolerate without too much wingeing) to pay taxes to society.

As for 'feud', it seems to me that much mud is being thrown (and doubtless some sticks) with a 'holier than tho' (pun intended ) attitude. I challenge this on the evidence: Randi's website contends that omitting Henry VIII from British schooling is 'breathtaking'. Still, he is American and what do they know of (or learn from) history .

How many have been 'damaged' by the conventional educational system ? A loaded question since much education in this country has its origins in 'religion'. How about a 'modern' religion such as Steiner ?

Sinnikal, et al, you are right to challenge 'woo' in its many forms. However, knee-jerk reaction to that which you fail to understand does you and your argument a dis-service.

If I had children I would definately seek out non-conventional 'education', with the caveat that we all have to learn to exist in this society (as opposed to some utopian 'happy valley').

A** anyone ?

>> Tagged as: News - Local


Strange Rituals in the Fields by Sinnikal
Date: 13/11/2007 Time: 20:49:40
OK Infidel, in the friendliest way, we lock horns again

If you would kindly point out my 'knee-jerk reaction to that which I fail to understand' I will do my very best to explain my position.

I try, at all times, to not have any sort of reaction, knee-jerk or otherwise, to stuff that I haven't made at least some effort to understand

Yet again, I am single-handedly, and hypocritically, destroying the planet with unnecessary carbon emissions, so excuse any tardiness, or peculiar posting times in my response

>> Tagged as: News - Local


Strange Rituals in the Fields by Box Boy
Date: 13/11/2007 Time: 22:04:07

Quotation:
How about a 'modern' religion such as Steiner ?

'Modern' Infidel? Did you not read my earlier summary of Steiner beliefs? Babylonian dragon-slaying Gods, Ancient Egyptian Mother-Goddesses, witchcraft in the farms?

Add to this a feudal attitude towards land, an inbuilt tendency for empire-building, a dependency on dictatorial leadership and a determined 'witchfinder general' attitude towards anyone within the organisation who fails to share their beliefs or criticises the leader.

Do some google research on Steiner links to the Nazis...quite well debated around the net.

>> Tagged as: News - Local

More... Previous Page [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] >> Next Page

Total Whats On = 0

Whats the weather like in Nailsworth?
Live weather data from the
Nailsworth Online Weather Station
www.nailsworthweather.co.uk

All information on this website is copyright and my not be used on other websites without the permission of nailsworth.com