V4.0
nailsworth.com forum
You don't have to live in Nailsworth to use the forum!

Topic: The Crown at Inchbrook
Category: Select All


The Crown at Inchbrook by Concerned Citizen
Date: 14/05/2007 Time: 12:49:19
What a load of bo***cks!

>> Tagged as: News - Local


The Crown at Inchbrook by Not Required
Date: 14/05/2007 Time: 13:00:18
Ah Profanity! The last refuge of an impoverished mind.

>> Tagged as: News - Local


The Crown at Inchbrook by Sinnikal
Date: 14/05/2007 Time: 13:06:14
Nah, it's a considered and thoughtful dissection of the posts you are making

>> Tagged as: News - Local


The Crown at Inchbrook by Not Required
Date: 14/05/2007 Time: 13:06:40
Really CC? I think anybody with a little bit of sense would ask themselves, why the Crown is in the dilapidated state it is today becoming more an more of an eyesore?

One thing that immediately comes to mind is that it's demise as a pub was brought about by lack of popular support. If it was thriving as a pub, it wouldn't be in the sorry state it is today. So no custom to support it or interest in carrying on as a pub. What use is it to the community or it's owners as it stands?

>> Tagged as: News - Local


The Crown at Inchbrook by Steed
Date: 14/05/2007 Time: 13:18:32
Fair question, NR, about what has caused the demise of the pub. What we have to do is take a long, hard look at the problem with an unprejudiced attitude and see if it can't be sorted out, before we lose it irrevocably.

A pub is an important focus of social life.

>> Tagged as: News - Local


The Crown at Inchbrook by Steed
Date: 14/05/2007 Time: 13:21:54
Ok, starting the long hard look at the problem from the beginning...

What exactly were the causes of the steady loss of clientele?

>> Tagged as: News - Local


The Crown at Inchbrook by Rover Returned.
Date: 14/05/2007 Time: 13:30:10
The Crown Inn is in its current "dilapidated" state because the owners (Crystal Fountain Village) have deliberately allowed it to deteriorate so that they can obtain planning permission to demolish it. They should be ashamed at allowing a historic building to go downhill purely in the name of profit.

To my personal knowledge the Crown flourished in the late 70s and early 80s, maybe later. Since then the local population has increased, not decreased so the clientele is out there. A bit of good management and some sparkle combined with some imagination and the pub could be a vital local asset again. If I had the capital I'd love to take it on!

For goodness sake, how much of our heritage has to be demolished before we call a halt to this commercial vandalism? Make your protest NOW on the S.D.C. website!

>> Tagged as: News - Local


The Crown at Inchbrook by Steed
Date: 14/05/2007 Time: 14:01:15
When did Crystal Fountain buy the pub? If they have deliberately tried to run it down, then this would be reflected in lower "takes" recorded every night in the account books since they bought it.

>> Tagged as: News - Local


The Crown at Inchbrook by Not Required
Date: 14/05/2007 Time: 14:17:46
As the building stands today, I see no heritage value unless RR. you are advocating just to keep it as a quickly developing derelict of times past. The owners. like any owner of any property have the right to dispose or utilise the land and building to best advantage. If there is a better return on demolishing it and building flats as opposed to a public house. Then so be it.

It is a sad fact today. That many old pubs around the country have closed or are close to closing for no end of socio/ economic changes over the past years. Steed is absolutely right, pubs serve or used to serve a useful social function as a focal point in any community. But in order to do so like any other commercial activity, A pub, depends on paying custom to support itself and if this is seriously lacking or plainly no longer there for what ever reason then regrettably a better use must be found for it.

>> Tagged as: News - Local


The Crown at Inchbrook by Rover Returned.
Date: 14/05/2007 Time: 15:05:32
NR 14:17:46. How on earth can the Crown have any "paying custom" when it was closed as a public house after its acquisition by Crystal Fountain Village?

And I disagree utterly with your statement that the owners of property have the right to demolish them whenever they think fit.

If this was the case what would have happened to most of our historic buildings? Should Gloucester Cathedral be demolished to make way for housing? Should what's left of Tintern Abbey be razed to the ground to make way for a golf course?

Profit, profit, profit. Where's the QUALITY of life in all this?

>> Tagged as: News - Local


The Crown at Inchbrook by Sinnikal
Date: 14/05/2007 Time: 15:06:03
What happened to Oolong?

Surely it wasn't offensive?

Or too off-topic?

BTW it wasn't me

But this is:

>> Tagged as: News - Local


The Crown at Inchbrook by Not Required
Date: 14/05/2007 Time: 15:30:50
The crown is not Gloucester cathedral RR. You might consider it the Pub as holy ground or a long standing historical site like Stonehenge. But it doesn't fall into that category for heritage value.

The Crown has been closed for a long , long time now. In fact I can't remember ever seeing it open since I have been living here in Nailsworth. So one must question why as a pub did it eventually closed down to trade? The answer has to be lack of regular paying custom for what ever reason at the time. Who ever was the previous owner, chose to sell it to the present owners, who no doubt came to the conclusion that it was no longer worth running a pub on that site. And as owners of a private property, they have every right to dispose or make use of it economically as they see fit.

>> Tagged as: News - Local


The Crown at Inchbrook by Rover Returned.
Date: 14/05/2007 Time: 15:42:20
NR 15:30:50. You obviously have not been living here long then and if you had you would know what a vibrant part of the local community the pub used to be.

It was purchased specifically to be closed down by Crystal Fountain Village from, I believe, Whitbread Inns when they were forced to divest themselves of pub premises.

And no, owners of private property do not have the right to dispose of their possessions as they think fit if that property has a role to play in the community or if it has heritage connections. The Crown, under its painted facade, is an historic coaching inn and to tear it down would be an act of vandalism.

Please acquaint yourself with the facts before you comment on local issues.

>> Tagged as: News - Local


The Crown at Inchbrook by Not Required
Date: 14/05/2007 Time: 16:16:41
So please answer this RR. The crown, its building and land, was owned by Whitbread, an old private Company as I seem to recall which was forced to sell, together with other large breweries,large chunks of their property portfolios. Something to do with market monopoly I think was the driving force behind this at the time.

Most, in fact all the majors in the industry, in order to comply, disposed of their less profitable assets and obviously the Crown must have fallen within this category of a non profitable running concern or else they would have kept it running wouldn't you say? If the place was so great as you try to imply, how come somebody else in the trade didn't snap it up and exploited it accordingly? The answer has to be, no local support to keep it going. Economics I think you will find is the answer. Not enough trade to make it economical to run is the answer.

>> Tagged as: News - Local


The Crown at Inchbrook by Sinnikal
Date: 14/05/2007 Time: 16:31:18
Poor analysis as usual NR. Your prejudice clouds your judgement, as ever.

Has it not occured to you that the sale of The Crown fitted nicely into the CFV masterplan?

I don't think that there was any concern given as to whether it was financially viable, their only concern was to have control of the property at the bottom of 'their hill'.

>> Tagged as: News - Local

More... Previous Page [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] >> Next Page

Total Whats On = 0

Whats the weather like in Nailsworth?
Live weather data from the
Nailsworth Online Weather Station
www.nailsworthweather.co.uk

All information on this website is copyright and my not be used on other websites without the permission of nailsworth.com